Here is part 2 of my Slow Cooker Roast Beef. So hopefully you have some leftover beef and au jus. I picked up some great french bread from the Italian Centre Shop and prepared to make homemade onion rings. I always thought I would have to drag out the deep fryer for this job (which I dread using because of the clean up); but I decided to give it a try on the stovetop with a large pot and about 3 inches of oil. I was only making dinner for two so this worked quite well. Now that it is just my husband and I at home I find I have "leftovers" and have to start planning ahead what my next meal will be with them. The freezer thing just doesn't seem to work as I forget what's in there and it gets freezer burn. (I will conquer this part of organization - one day).
This is one of the best hot beef sandwiches I've ever made, my husband had to enjoy a second helping.
Hot Roast Beef Sandwich
recipe by Laureen King from Art and the Kitchen
Prep Time: 30 mins Cook Time: 20 mins Serves: 6
- Leftover roast beef stored in the au jus from my Slow Cooker Roast Beef recipe
- left-over au jus or any packaged beef gravy you like.
- French bread cut into 3/4 inch slices
- Slice into thin pieces, using my electric knife works awesome for this job.
- Place roast beef slices into roasting pot, pour in left-over au jus or prepare gravy, mix together and warm up in oven for 30 mins. at 300 degrees.
- You can leave in roasting pot longer but turn temperature to warm until ready to use.
- Prepare onion rings while the beef warms up.
Onion Ring RecipeIngredients:
- Heat the oil in a deep pot (you can also use a deep fryer)
- Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture to coat; set aside.
- Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork.
- Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat.Then dip into the bread crumbs
- Fry in oil until golden brown 2-3 minutes
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
Leftover roast beef stored in the au jus from my Slow Cooker Roast Beef recipe
Slice into thin pieces, using my electric knife works awesome for this job.
Now get ready to assemble the sandwich
-Slice french bread into to thick slices and toast until the broiler.
-place roast beef on top of french bread, ladle on some of the gravy and top with onion rings. ENJOY!!