Super Shepherd’s Pie
by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
1 ½ lb. lean ground beef
3 carrots chopped
1 onion chopped
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen green beans
1 cup frozen peas
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. thyme
6 tbsp. butter
½ cup milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 package beef gravy mix prepared as per instructions (I used McCormick’s)
1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Peel and cut potatoes; cook in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes, drain.
- Add butter, milk and mash; set aside.
- In large sauté pan add ground beef, salt, pepper and cook until browned. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Drain off all but about 1 tbsp. fat from sauté pan, add onions, carrots and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add beans, corn and peas. Cook for about 8 minuntes(I usually add the beans and cook for a few minutes before adding peas and corn as they take a bit longer to cook.
- In the meantime prepare gravy mix as per instructions.
- When gravy is done add tomato paste and thyme to it.
- Stir gravy into vegetable mix, then stir in ground beef and pour in casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potato mix, cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.