Vanilla-Butternut Squash Bisque
by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups cooked butternut squash, puréed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- *crisp bacon, chives or croutons for garnish
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the stock and puréed squash, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- Using a blender, purée soup.
- Return the puréed soup to the pot over medium-low heat. Add the cream, vanilla bean seeds, and salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the soup is hot.
- Stir in the white pepper and cheese. Top each portion with garnish, and serve immediately.
Serve with Butternut Squash Scones!
Perfect for lunch with the ladies.