I finally did it, tackled my fear of cooking scallops. Watching "Hells Kitchen" for several seasons now and seeing Gordon Ramsay throw countless hysterics over scallops, I stayed away. The two times in my life I did try were a complete disaster of dry, rubbery scallops. My problem was I always over cooked them for fear of poisoning someone. Time to take up the challenge. I bought some very large beautiful scallops, looked through countless videos on YouTube and started my cooking adventure.
I decided on Pasta Carbonara to pair with my scallops. This is such a quick and simple recipe with gourmet flavour, an all-time favourite of mine. This entire dish can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes; a gourmet meal that you would be proud to serve to company!
|Please "Like" me on Facebook for quick viewing of my recipes https://www.facebook.com/ArtAndTheKitchen|
Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops
by Laureen King from Art and the Kitchen
Prep Time 10-15 mins. Cook time: 15-20 mins Serves: 4
Ingredients for Scallops:
- 12-16 large scallops (3-4 per person)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt & Pepper
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon diced (I try to find bacon with less fat, or cut away excess fat)
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic (leave whole)
- 4 green onions
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- fresh ground pepper
- pasta of your choice (I used Linguine, but most recipes use Spaghetti)
*This recipe tastes best served VERY fresh, so don't let it sit or Scallops and Pasta dry out quickly . Have ALL your ingredients and pots ready to go to make easy work of this.
*Oven on warm
Pots required: large pot for cooking pasta, skillet for frying bacon, garlic and shallots, skillet for pan searing scallops, large bowl for combining pasta and sauce.
Perfect Pan Seared Scallops
- Blot scallops with paper towel to remove any water. Salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Make sure skillet is hot before adding scallops but not smoking.
- Add scallops leaving plenty of space between. Overcrowding the pan will drop the pan temperature and cause scallops to steam rather than sear. (may have to do in batches)
- Sear for about 2-4 minutes or when bottom is a nice golden brown. Don't move them around in the pan or you will prevent them from forming that nice brown crust. After a couple of minutes have peek under to see if golden brown.
- Turn to sear other side. (about 1-3 more minutes)
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan now.
- Spoon the melted butter over the scallops as the other side finishes cooking.
- Transfer to paper towel covered plate.
- Keep warm in oven.
- Start cooking pasta.
- In small bowl mix together cream, egg yolks and 3/4 of cheese.
- In large skillet cook bacon until crisp, add shallots and 1/2 green onions.
- Smash down garlic clove a bit, add to bacon. (remove prior to adding pasta)
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain well, then add to skillet of bacon.
- Toss well, then transfer to large bowl.
- Add cream mixture to pasta and combined well. Make sure pasta is still hot in order to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
ENJOY A MEAL THAT WILL IMPRESS YOUR GUESTS!
Step by Step Pictures
|Ingredients required + Scallops|
|Brown bacon, shallot, green onion and garlic|
|Cream, parmesan, egg yolks|
|Stirring cooked pasta into bacon mix.|
|Tossing hot pasta with cream, cheese, egg mixture|
Pat dry, sear until golden brown in hot olive oil, turn, add butter, spoon over top as other side cooks.