Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Squares
by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
adapted from Amy of My Story In Recipes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 bag marshmallows (about 20 large-2 cups mini)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 7 ounces unwrapped caramels (1/2 bag)
- 1 tbsp. water
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (divided use)
- 8 ounces milk chocolate
- Butter a 9 x 9 inch pan.
- In large bowl melt butter in microwave just until melted. Add marshmallows, stir to coat marshmallows in butter, then microwave until melted, stirring occasionally. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Stir in Rice Krispies.
- Pour into buttered pan and press mixture firmly with buttered hands.
- Place in refrigerator to chill.
- In saucepan, melt caramels and water on low heat, stirring frequently. (careful not to burn).
- Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup peanut butter. Blend completely.
- Pour over Rice Krispies, and spread to an even layer.
- Put back into refrigerator.
- In saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate.
- When melted, stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter. Combine well.
- Pour chocolate over caramel layer spreading to edges in even layer.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate is firm.
- Cut into squares.
* Bars are best eaten at room temperature or only slightly chilled.