by Laureen King from ArtandtheKitchen
(adapted from Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Casserole Recipes Cookbook)
- 1/2 box spaghetti (about 9 oz)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 can tomatoes (28 oz) drained and chopped
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Brown ground beef with onions, garlic and peppers.
- Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes, combine well.
- Add sugar, oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep heated while you prepare the pasta.
- Cook spaghetti according to directions on box. (Don't overcook)
- Drain and return to pot.
- Mix in butter, eggs and gruyere cheese.
- Grease 10 inch pie plate, put spaghetti mix into pie plate. This is your "crust"
- Spread cottage cheese on top of spaghetti crust.
- Spoon ground beef mixture on top of cottage cheese layer.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then top with mozzarella and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.